Monday, November 19, 2007

Serving the Secret

Snow Pond, NH -

Sometimes it is the little things that make voters choose a candidate. I wonder if one of those little things will be what The Trail reported from John McCain’s recent North Country trip.

"It's my intention, if we win this nomination, to reject Secret Service. Why do I need it?"


Exactly. Why? I have actually thought of that question myself a few times this fall, whether it was during a room clearing dog sniff exercise at an Obama restaurant gig or watching the SS guys stare down war protesters at Hillary rallies. Is it really necessary for that security all day every day?

More importantly, doesn’t it ruin the candidate’s life? That politicians reside in a bubble of wealth, controlled meetings and yes-men supporters is one thing, adding a safety net of hard looking men in dark suits and sunglasses that surround their every move is a step beyond. McCain seems to agree, and when it comes to his own safety, here is the money shot:

“The day that the Secret Service can assure me that if we're driving in the motorcade and there's a guy in a rooftop with a rifle, that they can stop that guy, then I'll say fine. But the day they tell me, 'well, we can't guarantee it,' then fine, I'll take my chances.”

No comments: