Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pins Schmins

Snow Pond, NH -

Props to this. The Caucus reports on a recent interview where Barack Obama was asked why he doesn't wear an American flag pin on his lapel.

"The truth is that right after 9/11 I had a pin," Mr. Obama replied. "Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we’re talking about the Iraq war, that became a substitute for, I think, true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security.

"I decided I won’t wear that pin on my chest," he added. "Instead I’m gonna’ try to tell the American people what I believe what will make this country great and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism."

He went on to clarify his remarks today.
"But after a while, you start noticing people wearing a lapel pin, but not acting very patriotic. Not voting to provide veterans with resources that they need. Not voting to make sure that disability payments were coming out on time.

"My attitude is that I’m less concerned about what you’re wearing on your lapel than what’s in your heart. And you show your patriotism by how you treat your fellow Americans, especially those who served. You show your patriotism by being true to our values and our ideals and that’s what we have to lead with is our values and our ideals."

Any time a candidate speaks truth to false patriotism, I applaud it.

1 comment:

Peace Czar said...

Yo, Obama-

Talk like this ALL the time. You've got my respect on this one, now work on the rest of the time.

-PZ