Thursday, December 20, 2007

Greetings from the Road

Kearney, NE -


3Q Nation, welcome back to the Big Show, which right now is better described as the Road Show.

First of all, a few important points.

1) I am no longer in New Hampshire. I am in the process of driving back to Tacoma, WA.

2) Because of a possibility that I might go back to NH for a week before the primary, I am withholding my endorsement until further notice. Within a week or so I should know whether or not I will keep it close, or drop it on the blog. Sorry for the confusion.

3)Another apology is due. I haven't posted much lately due to shoddy internet access. Right now I'm rollicking on Motel 6 Wireless, but the road has constantly beckoned, so coffee shop stops have been few and far between.

4) I will be writing less about politics in the next two weeks, but I have a great blog piece coming up about a state-by-state beer journey from NH to WA. So far I am ten deep: NH, VT, MA, NY, PA, OH, IN, IL, IA, NE. At least six more states to come. Keep checking back, you'll see what I mean.

Now that I have finished with that piece, I have to say that Kearney (pronounced Carney) is a pretty tight place. I definitely recommend a stop by the Palm Garden Lounge on 22nd St. of of 1st Ave. Friendly bartender, interesting clientèle, awesome football decor.

With that, I will leave you with a few teaser photos.

Indiana, where High School Basketball is King.
BTB with a Three Floyd's Alpha King Pale Ale in Elkhart, IN

In the Deed the Glory
Vince and BTB in front of University of Nebraska's Memorial Stadium with a very shitty Empyrean LunaSea ESB

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

By having your picture taken in front of the "In the Deed of Glory" sign outside Memorial Stadium you have aimlessly entered into one of my favorite topics, BTB.

Those words were picked by noted (and perhaps world's first) iconograher, Hartley Burr Alexander. This man's job was basically to go around the country in the early 20th Century and pick out awesome quotes and symbols to put on important buildings. His work can be seen in many state capitol buildings and museums. The Rockefellers even hired him to do the decor for Rockefeller Center but then fired him because he wanted the whole complex to be about the Corn Maiden/Fertility Myths of Native Americans. Very tight dude and one of my heroes.

BTB said...

Yes. I am so glad to see this comment.

Umbarger said...

Glad to see that you made it to memorial stadium! I was just there this summer for fan day. Despite their recent struggles, my closing line still has to be- "HUSKER POWER" :)